Types of Braais where you live.

Tagged: , , ,

• Steven Phyffer

April 1, 2023 at 1:34 pm

I’m in Melbourne and although I love the smell of a wood braai, my Gas Weber has saved me many a times as the wood here is not great for coals.

• Ferdie Barnard

Organizer
      April 1, 2023 at 7:57 pm

We see a lot of South Africans on social media who make negative comments about gas, but I agree with you that there is a place for it.

I braai on wood or charcoal over weekends but during the week it is easier to quickly throw something on the gas grill. I also have a pellet grill which I use almost 90% of the time; the convenience of a gas grill and real wood flavor of wood or charcoal.

• Ferdie Barnard

Organizer
    April 1, 2023 at 7:53 pm

I am in USA.

There are 2 groups of people; the more “country” people love BBQ (which here means low and slow cooked for a long time at low, indirect heat and smoke, rather than directly grilled over the fire). They almost exclusively use real wood. Meat would include larger cuts like brisket, ribs, or maybe chicken.

The city folk use either gas grills or something like a Weber kettle grill and charcoal. They typically grill hamburgers and hot dogs.

• Oorsee

April 9, 2023 at 10:39 am

Looks like we’re having cockatoo tonight!

• Steven Phyffer

April 24, 2023 at 8:00 am

My choice tonight!

• Margie Winter

July 2, 2023 at 11:04 am

In Spain – their equivalent of a braai is a paella. Every Sunday on the beach with their equivalent of a skottel – on goes the paella!! It’s a feast and ingredients vary wildly. Rice of course is standard but some use mini macaroni! You can pre- order a take away paella from your local restaurant and you just bring the pan back. Great to see two Spanish men lugging a 3 foot paella take away across a busy street – down to their picnic/braai spot!! 😂 Very popular here too is the cocino verano translated as summer kitchen. – here’s ours

• Oorsee

July 2, 2023 at 11:53 am

Very nice setup! I’m a bit of a Weber fanatic atm so have a normal one as well as a gas one which I currently use more than anything. It’s winter in Melbourne